Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Spelt Bread or Wheat Bread


I make this bread to use on rotation for my son. It can be made into pizza crust as well, if you can do cheese.

3 1/2 cups very warm water (110 to 115 degrees)
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp dough enhancer (only if making wheat bread) omit if making spelt bread
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup olive oil
6 cups flour (freshly ground red winter wheat or Vita Spelt)
2 1/2 Tbsp yeast (I like Red Saf Instant Yeast)

(I make this in my Bosch Universal Mixer. I don't know how this will work in anything else. So you may have to play with it, if you are using something else.)

Pour in ingredients in order listed. Pulse to combine fully. Let sit with lid on for 20 minutes to sponge. After 20 minutes, pulse to stir down. Add in a total of 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 cups of flour one cup at a time until dough forms and cleans side of the bowl. Turn up mixer and knead until you reach the window pane stage (about 6 minutes).

Pour out onto oiled surface (yes that is right OILED not floured). Slam seven times. Cut into four sections and form into balls. Form into loaves and place in greased bread pans (I use Pam Olive Oil Spray). Cover with light cloth and let rise until double in size. Place in 350 degree oven and bake for 25 minutes or until sounds hollow when thumped. Place on cooling rack until just barely warm to touch. Place in bread bags and freeze or eat.

If you are making pizza crust. Follow directions through to the stage of pouring out the dough onto oiled surface. Form your four balls and then press out into pizza pans. Prick with a fork and cover with toppings of choice. Bake at 425 for about 12 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust looks done.

You can also press out your pizza crust and freeze it uncooked. Take it out about an hour before you want to use it and let it come to room temp on your counter top. Then place toppings and bake as usual. I like to freeze my crust on the sheet pans and then when they are rock solid pop them off and wrap well and pop back in the freezer.

I make spelt bread and cut it once cooled and then freeze it. I take out a slice at a time to use for my son as it fits on the rotation. If you are wheat intolerant but not gluten intolerant you might be able to tolerate spelt. My son does. BUT he does NOT have celiacs disease, so that is why we can do the spelt.

No comments:

Post a Comment