Sunday, October 2, 2011

Coconut Flour Pancakes

I make these regularly in my house. I got the original recipe from here. These substitute well for bread as a "pancake sandwich" with anything you like. They are great anyway you can think of. If you want to make them for a savory dish leave out the honey and vanilla. They even work as a stand in for hamburger buns!

This is my version:

4 eggs
1 cup milk of choice (I use unsweetened almond milk or full fat coconut milk)
2 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp honey
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup coconut flour (I use this coconut flour)
2 Tbsp melted coconut oil or ghee

In a large bowl mix eggs, milk, vanilla, honey, salt and cooled liquid oil. Whisk well. Add in coconut flour. Whisk very well, until there are no lumps. In a frying pan on medium-low heat or a griddle at 275-300 degrees. Fry your pancakes. I use an ice cream scoop and ladle them out. The batter will be thick. I just swirl the lump of batter flat with the back of the spoon. Cook well on first side until bottom is brown. Flip carefully and cook until brown on second side. Remove from pan and eat hot or let cool and eat later.

Just an FYI if you have never worked with coconut flour. You need to let your batter rest for a minute to soak up and swell. Coconut flour brands are all different. If you use something other than Wilderness Family Naturals coconut flour, then you may have to adjust the flour quantity up or down to get the right consistency. I hope to take pictures next time I make these so there will be better instruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment